Friday, January 28, 2011

Why Low Carb?

The answer for me was very simple. I didn't know any better. In my case, I was lucky to have successfully experimented with low carb diet a few years back accidentally.

When we were expecting with our son, my wife was prescribed a low carb diet. Well, guess what, I was sort of automatically on that diet as that's what got cooked, plain and simple.

Why she was going through her pregnancy, I lost a few pounds just because of following her diet plan as well as the regular walking regimen she was prescribed.

So that's my data point. I'd done it before. I knew what it meant to be on a low carb especially given that I'm a vegetarian.

Though I'd been wanting to loose weight for a long time now, it was this last trip to India which pushed me over the cliff to do something serious about it. For those of you who love Indian sweets like me, you know that when you travel to India, you are surrounded by everyone who loves to feed you and its hard to say NO to all those amazing sweets.

Well, I definitely put on a few more pounds and on my flight back to the US, I decided I'll start something as soon as I land back in SFO.

Once I was in SFO, my initial game plan was to execute on the same diet plan that I'd from my wife's pregnancy days. But that turned out to be a great starting point. As I researched some on the web, there were several low carb diets- Atkins, South Beach and probably many many others.
To be honest, I don't even know what Atkins is, what South Beach is. I've researched them much.

What I know is following ( my naive understanding )
1. In our body, Sugar gets converted into carbs.
2. Carbs are needed by our body to give it the necessary energy.
3. Excess carbs get converted to body fat.
4. The process can be reversed: Body fat can be converted into carbs.

So the idea is simple: Control Carbs. Eat less Carbs. And let your body do the magic.

The next post is going to be about what is the diet plan I'm following.

-Navneet

No comments:

Weight Loss Chart & Projections

Diet Plan for Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) for Vegetarians

Here's my current diet plan that I've been following more or less since July 2016. Morning: Tea - Chamomile/ Jasmine/ Indian Masa...